[admin] Project "The Feebs War"

Gustavo gugamilare at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 15:46:34 UTC 2007

Well, I believe the "Planet of the
Feebs"<http://www.cliki.net/Planet%2520of%2520the%2520Feebs>is a
well-known project made for begginers. But it has many problems:

- The project is not active, and really old;
- The documentation is not 100% compatible with the code;
- Graphics are displayed only in X Window System in a black-and-white poor
style;
- There are about 2000 lines of code in a single file! (Well, it's old and
probably there wasn't ASDF at that time);
- The code for the graphics is complex (it looks like written in C!) and (I
believe) represents about 75% of the number of lines;
- Whenever someone makes a feeb "brain", he or she needs to test for every
element of the "vision" (or of the "proximity" structure) whether it is a
single element or a list (why not the convention that every element is a
list?);
- No help for newbies (the project is mainly directed to them);

Well, I started to make a project called "The Feebs War" (based on the code
of "Planet of the Feebs") that is intended to correct its problems, with:

- A graphical interface (using
lispbuilder<http://lispbuilder.sourceforge.net/>),
supporting that you choose the graphics of your own feeb;
- An easier way to make a feeb brain intended to help lisp newbies;
- A more complete and direct-to-the-point manual;
- Implementation of some features that the original manual points but the
code doesn't have;
- More global parameters;

The graphical interface is not ready yet, but there is already a way to
display a game (printing the map in text mode), and it works quite well...
But I need a place to put the project, and this version, so more advanced
users could see the code and point some mistakes (I am a begginer, I am 20
and have about 1 year of lisp), and later anyone can get the 1.0 version and
learn lisp, a place where people can put their feeb, and maybe some contests
to see who can make the best feeb...

Here are more information of the project:

- Project: The Feebs War
- License: GPL
- Repository: Subversion (I would like to have svn, I believe it is better,
and I already use it)
- Developer: Gustavo Henrique Milare <gugamilare at gmail.com> (just myself for
now)
- Public Key: it is attached (I have just created it for this purpose).

If you have any questions, just let me know.