[admin] / and /var mounted read-only

Erik Enge erik.enge at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 19:08:13 UTC 2006

On 1/29/06, Ian Eslick <eslick at csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> I logged in and looked around and this appears to be due to an error of
> some kind that forced common-lisp.net to remount-ro the '/' and '/var'
> filesystems.  I thought you should know in case you haven't heard about
> this from someone else yet as it probably effects all common-lisp.net
> projects.

Thanks for the notification.  We are currently experiencing severe
problems with our colo provider:

   It seems that our hosting provider's colo provider is completely
   incompetent. We're now on our third downtime in one week and
   have made the obvious decision to move to another colocation
   facility. I'm sorry about all the downtime and inconveniences. My
   hosting provider (Tech Co-op) tells me they will try and move us
   into a new colo some time next week. In the mean time, I'm terribly
   sorry to have to provide such an unreliable service and hope the
   users will bear with us until we have this resolved.

This basically means they will flip the wrong breaker, etc and when
they do that it seems we may also have run into a bug with Xen
(virtual machine software) and the RAID drivers we are using which
results in file systems being mounted read-only on bootup after a hard
shutdown.  Hopefully this won't be the norm until we switch to a
better colo provider and address any bugs in Xen.

Though do let me know if there are other problems of which I'm not aware.

Thanks,
Erik.