[admin] Old darcs

Julian Stecklina der_julian at web.de
Mon Aug 28 21:33:12 UTC 2006

Erik Enge wrote:
> On 8/27/06, Julian Stecklina <der_julian at web.de> wrote:
>> i realized after problems pushing some patches that the darcs version on
>> common-lisp.net is quite old (1.0.2) wrt. the current version 1.0.8. Is
>> it possible to update the installed version, or is there anything
>> speaking against it?
>
> It is possible.  The current situation is that I'm running the Debian
> package and that it is the most recent Debian package available for
> stable.  Doesn't mean we can't compile our own but I'm pressed for
> time, as usual.  If someone could write a script that untar'd,
> compiled and installed darcs I would be happy to run that on
> common-lisp.net and remove the Debian package.  Make sure it works
> with the darcsweb version we have (0.14) or provide an upgrade path
> for that, too.

Since it is suboptimal to circumvent the packaging system, I would
suggest the method described at
http://www.pro-linux.de/news/2002/4709.html which explains how to
install unstable packages (darcs and darcsweb) in a otherwise stable system.

Building darcs from source involves a lot of dependencies (i.e. a
Haskell compiler), but if the method described above is not an option, I
guess I can hack a script that builds it.

Regards,
Julian