[admin] Closer Project Proposal

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Mon Jan 24 15:29:54 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a proposal for hosting the following project on common-lisp.net:

- Name of the project: "Closer"

subprojects whose aim is to improve the usability of the CLOS MOP
across different Common Lisp implementations. The first step (which
already exists to a large degree) is a library that checks what
features of the AMOP specification is supported by a given CL
implementation. This results in a number of keywords that describe the
various aspects of a MOP which can, for example, be used to
conditionalize one's source code (when added to *features*).

The second step (which exists as a rough sketch) is a compatibility
library that provides a package that adds missing features and/or
replaces existing features with versions that better reflect the AMOP
specs. If the latter is not possible, I try to provide utility
functions that allow one to work around restrictions. (If you're
interested, I can give an example of what I have in mind.)

Finally, the Closer project should host a few example metaclasses,
including some of the examples given in AMOP, and probably others as
well. For example, my goal is to move some of the stuff from AspectL to
the Closer project in order to turn this into a more coherent library.
It is important to provide example applications of the MOP because they
implicitly provide test cases against which new MOP implementations can
be checked for compatibility.

So in the long run, the Closer project should help to bring the MOP
into a shape that Common Lisp programmers can better rely on across
many implementations.

- Currently, I am the only member of the project but the goal is to
involve other people, especially implementers of CLOS. My own code is
to be licensed under a creative commons license - see
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ - if other code is
submitted I will make sure that it is compatible with that license or
with other reasonably "free" licenses, including BSD, MIT, LGPL and
LLGPL. When in doubt (for example with problematic licenses like GPL) I
would want to contact you to discuss this. In general, I prefer
licenses that can be used both in an open source and in a commercial
context at the same time.

OK, I hope that you'll find this admittedly vague description
acceptable. ;)

All the best,
Pascal

--
Any sufficently complicated Java program requires a programmable IDE to
make up for the half of Common Lisp not implemented in the  program