[admin] New project request: cells-gtk

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Wed Nov 17 22:02:00 UTC 2004

Hi. Something amazing just happened. vasilis margioulas left a cells-gtk
package on my doorstep last night. LLGPL. It was written for Clisp and
uses the CLisp ffi instead of UFFI, but I think an eager beaver could
port it to UFFI pretty easily, making it available to other Lisps. As
for OSes: win32 and linux have been tested. CLisp on Mac OS X does not
have ffi yet. But if the project gets ported to uffi then it can run
under other Lisps on Mac OS X and GTK for X. (GTk native for OS X is not
there yet.)

Vasilis is a computer science teacher and was exploring declarative GUI
programming (ala Cells) as contrasted with the Gui-builder approach. He
has gotten cells-gtk to a very polished state, but will not have time
for a while to extend it. I gather also his needs have been met. Anyway,
he is putting the project up for adoption and I of course accepted.

But I think it needs its own project. GTk is quite popular it seems, and
unlike LTk this interface does not run over a socket. I think also
having it separate means you can list it under "Graphics" in your
project directory, which may sound silly but I believe that directory
will be exactly how people find stuff. This will also make it easier to
find adoptive parents. :)

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/