[admin] Request for project hosting: clc - Common Lisp Cryptopgraphy

Nikodemus Siivola tsiivola at cc.hut.fi
Thu May 20 12:45:36 UTC 2004

Ho hum.

I just realized that I don't think none of us is 100% up-to-date on the US
export laws related to cryptography (this is relevant as our server is
hosted in the US).

Quick look-and-see around the net, and particularly Debian site makes it
seem that these days it's crypto exports are allowed, but require a
dead-tree notification to NSA and an email to notification to
BXA ("Commerce Department's Bureau of Export Administration").

See:

 http://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain

Unless someone particularly feels like dealing with this I propose we set
up a non-us server for software that may fall under such laws. Iirc
waays-back someone (Henrik Motakef?) offered diskspace and bandwidth from
a box located in Germany -- either that or I could finally take up on my
word and get us another virtual server from Finland.

(Of course, anyone following this is free the pipe in and offer hosting if
the have space and bandwitdt on a non-us box.)

Thoughts and opinions?

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus Siivola

PS. Tåle, sorry for the delay this may cause. We originally talked about
this when setting up Common-lisp.net, but the actuality hasn't arisen
until now. You sort of caught us with our pants down. ;-)