[admin] project proposals: Alpaca, Hansa2

mikel evins mikel at evins.net
Tue Mar 23 18:20:51 UTC 2004

Two of my open-source projects, Alpaca and Hansa2, are hosted at
Sourceforge.

Another, Clotho, is hosted at common-lisp.net.

I like common-lisp.net better so far.

Alpaca and Hansa2 are both written in Common Lisp.

Alpaca is a Mac OS X (Aqua) application written in OpenMCL. It's an
extensible word processor for prose authors, supporting rich text and
WYSIWIG page layout. At the same time, it's an extensible Lisp
environment with Emacs-style extensible key-bindings and a Common Lisp
API. Alpaca has a Lisp listener.

Hansa2 is an implementation of the trade game Hansa, invented by the
economist David D. Friedman. The  game is generally similar to games
like Empire and Risk: the goal is to dominate the world. The great
difference from other games is that in Hansa you expand, not by
conquering your neighbors, but by  persuading them to voluntarily join
trade leagues, by making better offers than competing leagues. Hansa is
also written in Common Lisp, and consists of a portable server and N
platform-specific client applications (where N presently equals 1:
there is an OS X client, but Windows and Linux clients are planned).

Would common-lisp.net like to host these projects? If so, I'd be
interested in moving them over from Sourceforge.

"[W]e were after the C++ programmers.  We managed to drag a lot of them
about halfway to Lisp.  Aren't you happy?"

  [Guy Steele, of Sun Microsystems Labs, about designing Java]