[admin] Volunteer for taxonomy.

Nikodemus Siivola tsiivola at cc.hut.fi
Wed Mar 3 22:55:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Erik Enge wrote:

> I'd like us to group the projects we list on projects.shtml into groups
> (let's keep the number of groups low to begin with: database, graphics,
> utility, network, I don't know).  In addition it would be nice to add a
> oneliner description for each project,

Sounds like a good idea.

However, I think this might work best if we allow projects to categorize
themselves. Start with a small number of categories, adding more when
requested.

> However, just keeping up with adding projects and debugging various
> problems with email, anon cvs etc that shows up every now and then keeps
> me as busy as I want to be.  Do we have a volunteer?

Now that my connectivity is restored, I can do more "stuff", so whenever
you're too busy and it's someting I can manage, feel free to give me a
nudge. But I'd hesistate to commitmy self to either writing an engine that
the users could use to manage the raxonomy, or maintaining it by hand.

Sigh. So many things to do, so little time.

However, to end on a positive note, how about adding

 /project/foo/config.sexp

Looking like so:

((:long-name "Project Thingmajik")
 (:owner "Mr. King")
 (:short-description "Project to do stuff.")
 (:long-description "This project is very ambitious and will do lot's
                     of stuff. However, I'm very busy and won't be
                     able to do any of it, so volunteers are NEEDED!")
 (:categories "System" "Help Wanted" "Tomorrow The Solar System"
              "Ping Pong"))

Even if we do nothing with it right now, it still would be neat. ;-)
And people could maintain those themselves (by hand) until someone
hacks up a webinterface.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus Siivola