[admin] Question/proposal

Nikodemus Siivola tsiivola at cc.hut.fi
Mon Mar 1 14:15:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Yurii A. Rashkovskii wrote:

> Could we have one 'special' project that will be used to submit all
> third-party libraries that aren't in Arch already? In Arch large project
> could use special configs to fetch other sub-projects or libraries from
> their own trees. I think, that having all that libraries in one Arch
> archive could be useful.

I'm a bit leery of this, but this may be just because dispite multiple
attempts I'm still not able to like arch.

Anyways, in this case my reasoning goes like this: Projects should
generally not track each others raw-bleeding-edge-versions, but rather
rely on released versions / snapshots.

Also -- more importantly -- if I understand correctly this would
essentially require the non-arch projects to also start maintaining an
arch repository; this is not going happen.

If otoh, the repository were maintained by Arch users, this would be less
of an issue, but still sounds like a good opportunity for confusion (Which
bleeding edge? The official CVS/Darcs/SVN/Whatever, or the Arch mirror?).

Still, on the third hand, if an arch user figures out how to set this up
nice and hassle-free, I have no great qualms againt it.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus Siivola