[admin] non-us.common-lisp.net

Nikodemus Siivola tsiivola at cc.hut.fi
Fri Jun 4 13:02:44 UTC 2004

Sorry for the huge delay, especially to Tâle who's probably getting tired
of waiting.

Problem: We need a non-us server for crypto.

Solutions:

 * Frode has kindly offered us space from his uni's servers
   for this purpose.

   Pros: - free as beer
         - if we update our infra for this we might be able to adopt a
           more distributed outlook in the future.

   Cons: - we'd be unlikely to have root access (?), so integrating with the
           existing infra might be tricky

 * Getting a dedicated server from Europe. Mario and I have both asked
   for quotes, and they have been reasonable. We've also talked about
   splitting cost between us.

   Pros: - probably simpler to integrate with the us server
         - we'd have root

   Cons: - costs a bit

Suggestion:

  It was the feeling of Mario and I that having root access would in the
  long run be simpler. I propose that either I or Mario get the second
  server. Mario: I can't recall the details, but I've the feeling that
  your best offer was better then mine -- I'll dig them up and send you
  the details for comparison.

  Frode, would it be possible to have your uni's servers *mirror* us? Not
  just the ftp, but the whole /project tree, for both us and non-us? If,
  as I seem to recall, you have plenty of bandwidth to spare, you could
  function as a primary mirror for clnet, one that other mirrors would
  sync from?

  I'm under the impression that a signigicant percentage of our bandwidth
  is being sucked up mirroring. On (not sure about the goodness) idea
  would be to relegate ftp entirely off the development servers: have the
  development servers push ftp to mirrors with little delay (constantly
  monitoring for new addition). Then we would have one less security hole
  to worry about in the future.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus                   "Not as clumsy or random as a C++ or Java.
                             An elegant weapon for a more civilized time."