[admin] request for hosting the Gsharp project

Nikodemus Siivola tsiivola at cc.hut.fi
Wed Feb 11 11:58:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Robert STRANDH wrote:

>  >  http://opensource.franz.com/preamble.html
>
> Oh, that one.  I don't think so.  That one makes it possible for
> anyone to make proprietary improvements to the library.

DISCLAIMER: this is me personally, not a common-lisp.net admin speaking,
and LGPL is fine to use with library parts of Gsharp.

I assume you refer to this:

"It is permitted to add proprietary source code to the Library, but it
must be done in a way such that the Library will still run without that
proprietary code present."

However, I don't see how plain vanilla LGPL would prohibit eg:

 ;; this is proprietary
 (load "lgpled-library")
 (load "my-proprietary-patch")

The LLGPL says "If any of the functions or classes in the Library are
redefined in other files, then those redefinitions ARE considered a work
based on the Library.", which explicitly prohibits the above.

As far I can tell the only "bad" thing LLGPL allows is to distribute a
modified version of the library using eg. patented algorithms instead of
the original ones, but even then the original algorithms would have to be
retained. What am I missing?

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus Siivola