[Admin] New project: Osicat

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Tue Oct 14 13:59:00 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:27:04AM +0200, Mario Mommer wrote:

> How portable is it?

Fairly. On the lisp side UFFI is enough, plus sane NAMESTRING. Any
lisp that doesn't return a namestring understandable to the OS
deserves to lose.

On the OS-side a standard libc + gcc is enough.

> Some of the stuff sounds familiar to me. I know that most lisps have
> an environment variable facility, and also some functionality to
> deal with directory deletion/creation.

Correct. ...but since i'm not relying on the host-lisp's features the
functionality should work across implementations.

Also, I dare to claim my interface is nicer than what average lisp offers:

Example:

;; Make *.sh in SBCL_HOME executable
(with-directory-iterator (next (environment-variable 'sbcl_home))
   (loop for entry = (next)
         while entry
         do (when (equal "sh" (pathaname-type entry))
              (pushnew 'user-exec (file-permissions entry)))))

> What are the differences to what PORT (from cclan) offers?

PORT tries to offer portablity between the functionality offered by
various lisps, and is GPL. Osicat bases functionality on portable
foreign interface and is MIT-licensed.

PORT mimics the native functions in interface (eg. GETENV), Osicat
offers a lispier interface (eg. ENVIRONMENT-VARIABLE).

PORT target a wide array of functionality, Osicat has a narrower
focus: commonly needed operating system functionality not accessible
via ANSI CL.

Good questions!

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus