[Admin] Re: Eclipse application

Iban Hatchondo hatchond at labri.fr
Wed Oct 1 14:16:10 UTC 2003

Nikodemus Siivola wrote:
> I definitely approve of the Eclipse project's application.
>
> I feel compelled to point out your choise of license, however.
>
> Nothing wrong with GPL, but most Lisp projects prefer MIT/BSD-style
> for various reasons. For example, simpler interoperability between
> libraries, or a conscious choise to promote Lisp over other languages,
> or preferring of free-as-gift over free-as-fsf-defines-it.
>
> Is GPL a deliberate and premeditated choise, or have you adopted it
> "by default"? If the former then everything is ok, but if latter
> then I urge you to reconsider.

I must confess that I took a long time reading almost everything on the
BSD and GPL licence couple of years ago. But as far as I remember I
choose the GPL because I was prefering the free-as-fsf-defines-it for an
application like a window manager, that could be (if we are lucky)
distribute with some linux distro on something like this. More over a
window manager is not a really inovating application and almost all
"algorithm" and tricky stuff are well known. So I'm not too worried for
the the free-as-gift thing :o). About the "or a conscious choise to
promote Lisp over other languages" I also think that using a GPL licence
  sometimes could be a good idea:
  people that would like to be inspired or integrate would be forced to
put the GPL desclaimer about your Lisp stuff and that way would promote
the langage as well ?

I have a netbsd maintainer at work and I already had such discussions
(that can be very long :o). What I retain is that we NEED all those
different license and as you point: it is important to correctly and
know why we are choosing one or an ohter.

Best regards,
Iban.