[admin] Re: [Clump] Re: Rebel With A Cause

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Nov 3 19:24:49 UTC 2003

Klaus Weidner writes:
 > On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 08:16:11AM -0500, Erik Enge wrote:
 > > Christophe Rhodes <csr21 at cam.ac.uk> writes:
 > > > * ability to retrieve articles in multiple formats (TeX/Docbook
 > > > source, html, postscript) if the source that the author submits
 > > > permits easy conversion;
 > >
 > > Can cl-typesetting output to any of these formats in addition to PDF?
 >
 > That's IMHO the wrong way around - the question should be which of these
 > formats you can use as *input* to cl-typesetting [1]. The concept of
 > typesetting doesn't really make sense for HTML output [2].

I think the basic idea for cl-typesetting is to have three layers:

  input formats  ==>  typesetting engine  ==>  ouput formats
    sexp                cl-typsetting            cl-pdf
    tex-like                                     postscript
    ...                                          HTML

So if something is written in a cl-typesetting input format, it should
be possible to get it in any of the output formats.  Obviously it's
currently pre-alpha, but certainly what's in the list above is planned.

 > [2] unless you create the document as a huge table with pixel-sized cells
 > that you render into :-)

I disagree.  You can't actually do too much micro-setting, but if you
target HTML-with-css, you can at least do typesetting in the large.

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |