[Admin] Hosting request

Mario Mommer mommer at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Aug 18 15:21:11 UTC 2003

Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus at random-state.net> writes:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 01:04:41PM -0400, Erik Enge wrote:
>
> > Let's make it short and sweet.  To the point without belaboring anyone.
>
> Here's my attempt at hosting terms, based on both Erik's and Mario's
> suggestions:
>
> "Common-lisp.net is run and funded by volunteers, as they see fit. By
> using this site and you accepr the following terms and conditions:
>
>  Term Common-lisp.net is used to refer to both the site and the
>  volunteers running the site.
>
>  * Common-lisp.net is not under any obligation to accept your hosting
>    request, or any other service request you may make.
>
>  * Common-lisp.net may discontinue any service without prior notice.
>
>  * Common-lisp.net is not responsible for any lossage or corruption
>    of hosted data, whether accidental or deliberate.
>
>  * Using services provided by Common-lisp.net for any illegal activities
>    is grounds for immeadiate termination of any services provided."

I would either drop the last point, or instead write that

   * The user is responsible for ensuring that all information he/she
     puts on common-lisp.net is not illegal.

This sounds a bit like the "do not drink" warnings on motor-oil
bottles, but covers our bases without making us responsible for taking
down anything. The reason is that we might well not know for some
time, so we cannot guarantee anything, and we might be all on vacation
or something when it hits. The user should be the only one responsible
if illegal content (whatever that might be) ever enters the site.

Other than that, I think it is a fairly reasonable "terms of use"
list.

Mario.