Numpy and Common Lisp?

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Wed Apr 12 18:28:40 UTC 2023

Thank you, you are too kind.

My thinking was that there was a large investment in numpy that cannot
be exploited by lispers.

It has been objected that it would be better to have a library that is
more lispy. I have made my argument for why that would be difficult to
do. I should also add that numpy isn't particularly "pythony," either:
the linear algebra computations are done by external libraries with
highly efficient low-level implementations.  Furthermore, a lot of
python is lisp-inspired, so I think it not unreasonable that a
python-suited numpy could also be quite lisp-suitable.

Of course, if people want to do a capable linear algebra library for and
in CL, I have no objections!  Either as a community big project or
hobbyist hack. Let a thousand flowers bloom!

My interest, though, is in *using* such a library, not building it
(numerical analysis is not my thing), so I was looking for the most
direct path to the most solid capability.