Numpy and Common Lisp?

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Wed Apr 12 12:37:14 UTC 2023

On Tue, 2023-04-11 at 15:04 -0500, Robert Goldman wrote:
> I don't mean to rain on the parade, but the development and
> maintenance
> of numpy consumes a level of resources that is simply beyond the
> capacity of the CL community to muster.
>
> The NUMFocus project, a non-profit, supports this and other numerical
> computation projects (most, but not exclusively python), drawing on
> substantial amounts of corporate sponsorship.
>
> I urge you to cast your eyes on this NumFOCUS sponsors list before
> thinking that our community could even begin to tackle this task:
> https://numfocus.org/sponsors

These companies are willing and able to fund this project because NumPy
is a core part of software products that yield large profits.

I keep seeing big dreams about major development in CL and my answer
nowadays is "go start a company and write Lisp". Even "a small team
with clear goals" is still significant payroll.

--
Stelian Ionescu