newbie to lisp

Pascal Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Sat Jun 4 09:34:43 UTC 2022

Le 04/06/2022 à 09:59, Angelo Moreschini a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am a programmer of imperative languages and I would like to improve my
> (currently scarce) knowledge of <declarative> programming techniques,
> starting with the lisp language.
>
> I have a degree in mathematics and I would like to attend chats where we
> can talk about this type of approach to programming.
>
> Thanks for any help and suggestions.

http://cliki.net/Getting+Started
http://cliki.net/IRC

Note: lisp is not particularly declarative (it's not particularly
anything in fact), but it is possible to write lisp code in declarative
style (or in any other style you want).

That's one advantage of lisp: you can use any style you want or need,
depending on your current problem, even you can use multiple styles in
the same program.

Declarative programming style will rely on code = data and the fact that
lisp programs are written actually as lisp data.

So you can write declarations in form of symbolic expressions aka
s-expressions aka sexps, and write little interpreters or translators
for those declarative forms to implement their semantics.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__