Proposal: project pages deployment through GitLab

Vladimir Sedach vas at oneofus.la
Thu Nov 1 07:57:07 UTC 2018

> Yes. Another assumption: everybody keeps their (site/software) assets in
> source control/version control these days. Isn't your common-lisp.net site
> versioned?

No, none of them are. Someone (I think it was Travis Cross) set up a
repository for the Parenscript site sometime around 2010, but I did
not continue using that. Emacs' version-control backup files (because
they work transparently with TRAMP) do what I need.

> I understand what you're saying and I appreciate the feedback. I also
> understand you would be annoyed if the only way to deploy would be to go
> through GitLab. Would you go so far as to say that you would move your
> project pages elsewhere, though? (Not threatening or anything, really just
> trying to understand your situation.)

I would not move them elsewhere.

> Yea. I would assume every option has problems. The existing way of working
> has problems as well in the sense that they put a maintenance effort on the
> common-lisp.net admin team and I can fix issues from my mobile phone when I

Ok, now this makes a lot of sense. I had assumed that the
everything-in-Gitlab approach would, if anything, also involve more
system administration. If it makes running common-lisp.net easier,
that overrides my concerns.

Vladimir